There are so many parts of the Christmas story that have been embellished over the centuries that it could be hard to know the difference between the birth of Jesus Christ according to the Bible and fictional Christmas traditions. Do you know the difference between fact and fiction?
You can test your knowledge, and that of family and friends, of the Biblical story with this Christmas Bible Quiz. You can find the source of the answers in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. If you want to make a game of it, here is a template of 30 number squares – print them and cut them out, then have players pick a number randomly to choose their quiz question.
1. According to his family genealogy, Jesus’ was a descendent of the whom:
a) King David
b) Rahab the Harlot
c) Ruth and Boaz
d) All the above
2. Mary was to Elizabeth in relations as:
a) Samson was to Deborah
b) Jacob was to Rachel
c) Naomi was to Ruth
d) Paul was to Silas
3. How many wise men visited Jesus?
Answer: The Bible does not say
4. What were the gifts presented to Jesus by the wise men?
Answer: Gold, frankincense and myrrh
5. What was the name of the angel who visited Mary the mother of Jesus?
6. Mary visited Elizabeth for how long?
a) 1 month
b) 3 months
c) 6 months
d) 9 months
7. Which prophet prophesied: “Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel?
8. Immanuel means what?
Answer: God is with us
9. What was the punishment for becoming pregnant out of wedlock?
Answer: Stoning to death
10. In what town did Mary and Joseph live?
11. How was it that Mary became pregnant with Jesus?
Answer: She was overshadowed by the power of the Holy Ghost
12. Where did the wise men come from, and in which direction did they travel?
Answer: In relation to Israel from the east, they traveled east to west
13. What sign did the wise men see that indicated a new king of the Jews was born?
Answer: They saw a new star
14. In what city was Jesus born?
15. How did the wise men know to find Jesus in Bethlehem?
a) They read it in the Bible
b) An angel told them
c) The position of the star showed them
d) King Herod told them
16. Of who was this prophesy made: “When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.”?
d) John the Baptist
17. What was the name of the angel who appeared to Mary’s husband Joseph?
Answer: d (The Bible does not say, but deduction can lead us to believe it was b)
18. Zecharias and Elizabeth were the parents of:
b) John the Baptist
c) King Herod
19. Zecharias was unable to speak for how long?
Answer: Approximately 9 months
20. What was the name of the angel who appeared to Zacharias in the temple?
21. How long, from the appearing of the star, did it take the wise men to arrive in Judea?
a) 6 months
b) 1 year
c) 2 years
d) 3 years
22. Jesus was in relation to John the Baptist as:
a) Barnabas was to Mark
b) Reuben was to Judah
c) Noah was to Canaan
d) James was to John
23. To what country did Joseph take Mary and Jesus after the wise men visited?
24. In what town did Jesus grow up in?
25. To what city did Mary and Joseph travel to, and for what reason, before the birth of Jesus?
Answer: To Bethlehem for tax collection
26. Who was the King of Judea when Jesus was born?
27. Who was the Roman Emperor when Jesus was born?
a) Marcus Aurelius
c) Julius Caesar
d) Caesar Augustus
28. What type of building was Jesus born in?
Answer: A stable (laid in a manger)
29. To whom did angels appear to on the night Jesus was born?
Answer: Shepherds in the field watching their flocks
30. Who said: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”?
How did you do? Here’s wishing you and yours a happy, healthy and blessed Christmas season. And always remember that Jesus is the reason.